punto.sud has been awarded by ICEI the evaluation of the project ‘INCAMMINO – Sviluppo Economico delle comunità rurali dell’area di influenza del Cammino INCA (Qhapaq Ñan, Bolivia) attraverso la valorizzazione e l’uso sostenibile del patrimonio naturale e culturale, e l’applicazione di nuove tecnologie nel settore del turismo comunitario” (Economic development of rural communities in the area of the Inca Route (Qhapaq Ñan, Bolivia) through the valorization and sustainable use of natural and cultural heritage culturale, and the application of new technologies to community-based tourism) in Bolivia.
The project aims to contribute to the sustainable economic development of 11 communities in the Inca Trail area (Qhapaq Nan) by promoting a development model based on the preservation and enhancement of cultural (material and immaterial) and natural heritage, with the active involvement of the sector public sector and the application of innovative technologies for the Community tourism sector.
In order to address negative externalities of tourism activities, this action intends to promote an integrated development in vulnerable communities living in the influence area of a cultural route that represents a priority for the government , the Ruta Qhapaq Nan (QN) (“Inca Route”).
By strengthening the ETCs (Emprendimientos Turisticos Comunitarios) existing in the area, the project includes several innovative elements, such as:
- A participatory, multi-stakeholder methodology, with a bottom-up approach, notably in i) the criteria for selecting the sites, cultural expressions and non-material heritage (practices, performances, knowledge and know-how, tools, artifacts and cultural spaces) to be included on a digital platform for promoting the area; ii) implementing a participatory inventory and catalogue of the material and non-material heritage existing in the target area and establishing a database useful to design actions for the protection/valorisation and planned conservation of such heritage;
- The adaptation and application of ICT tools – innovative for the target context – with two objectives: i) promotion and ii) continuous training for young people, with the development of an online and offline digital ecosystem for an integrated management of knowledge;
- Valorising the natural resources of the area, by promoting greening practices for tourist services and facilities (waste separation and waste water treatment ) and the establishment of Syntropic Agroforestry Systems (SAFs) for the recovery of depleted soils where crops, forages, wood and medicinal plants will be consortiated to regenerate productive ecosystems.
Type of services provided
The evaluation exercise to be carried out will be supported by the following activities:
- Execution of a preliminary study aimed at defining the design model developed by ICEI in collaboration with the project partners (main factors, change theory, implementation theory)
- The accompaniment to the finalization of the monitoring system, aimed at systematically detecting the progress of the main variables necessary to verify the model and to measure the outcomes of the main actions on the identified target groups;
- The preparation of an interim report aimed at exposing the main contents of the analyzes carried out;
- The organization of a final seminar for the partners in Milan.
Type of Evaluation Mid-term Evaluation
Evaluation Dates (start/end) 2018 – 2019
Overall Evaluation Value EUR 12.000
Project Title INCAMMINO- Sviluppo Economico delle comunità rurali dell’area di influenza del Cammino INCA (Qhapaq Ñan, Bolivia) attraverso la valorizzazione e l’uso sostenibile del patrimonio naturale e culturale, e l’applicazione di nuove tecnologie nel settore del turismo comunitario (Economic development of rural communities in the area of the Inca Route (Qhapaq Ñan, Bolivia) through the valorization and sustainable use of natural and cultural heritage culturale, and the application of new technologies to community-based tourism)
Donor Agenzia Italiana per la Cooperazione allo Sviluppo (AICS)
Budget Line n/a
Reference Project Number n/a
Sectors child protection, human rights
Leading Agency & Resource Partners
- Istituto Cooperazione Economica Internazionale – ICEI (Lead agency)
- Ngo ProgettoMondo Mlal
- AITR (Italian Association of Responsible Tourism)
- UniMiB (University of Milan – Bicocca)
- RED TUSOCO (Red Boliviana de Turismo Solidario Comunitario)
- RED OEPAIC (Red de Organizaciones Económicas de Productores Artesanas/os Identidad Cultural)
- UNQUI- Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
Overall Project Value EUR (not available)
Dates (start/end) June 2018 – June 2021