The project “Be.St. – Beyond Stereotypes – Oltre gli stereotipi di genere” aims at contributing to produce a cultural change in educational agencies (beginning from primary schools) that can have a positive impact on the choices of future generations, who become carriers of a “zero tolerance” message on all forms of gender violence and are able to convey the cultural change in the society.
A critical thinking on gender stereotypes, transmitted through families and teachers, will help to encourage young people’s awareness of the importance of mutual respect in relationships and to diminish the phenomenon of social and psychological abuse of one sex over the other. This will facilitate a more balanced relationship between the genders and an education of children respecting the differences, which will be perceived as an opportunity for mutual exchange and growth.
Considering the importance of stereotypes in the development of each individual, the choice to define the Be.St model and experiment the proposed path in a primary school allows to focus on individuals when the stereotypes are being formed. The school selected to be the pilot is invited to adhere to a path that includes training and information activities, addressed to teachers and families, on gender stereotypes.
In this perspective, through the definition of an innovative model of primary school that promotes the idea of a Be.St school (beyond stereotypes), which is applicable and replicable on a larger scale, the project aims to achieve a twofold objective:
- To contribute to the prevention of gender-based violence;
- To contribute to the creation of awareness on the role of gender stereotypes in the dissemination of the gender-based violence.
The action is leaded by Fondazione punto.sud and involves as project partners Comune di Milano – Assessorato all’Educazione and Assessorato alle Politiche Sociali; Associazione Scosse and Comitato Unico di Garanzia – Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca.
The initiative is supported by Fondazione Cariplo and Comune di Milano. Additional requests for funds have been submitted to the European Commission and the Italian Government (Dipartimento Pari Opportunità).
- Creation of a multi-stakeholder working group for the definition of the Be.St standard
- Definition of the Be.St. standard
- Development of training methodology and the training materials, according to the Be.St. standard established by the multi-stakeholder working group
- Be.St. standard testing and follow up
- Launch of the initiative through an awareness campaign
- Final event and distribution of the project final report to communicate the project’s results
- Impact evaluation
30 Novembre 2018 Conferenza Be.st – L’importanza della prevenzione della violenza di genere
a partire dalla scuola primaria
Title Be.St. – Beyond Stereotypes (Oltre gli stereotipi di genere)
Country Italy (Milan)
Donor Fondazione Cariplo | Comune di Milano
Budget Line not applicable
Reference Number not applicable
Sectors gender, impact evaluation, civil society, education, human rights
- Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca (I)
- Comune di Milano (I)
- Associazione Scosse (I)
Overall project value EUR 100.000
% of donor’s funding 70%
Dates (start/end) November 17 – December 18
- Around 125 pupils of the pilot primary school
- Around 250 pupils’ parents
- Around 20 pupils’ teachers
- Other primary schools in Milan
- The general audience