The project Equal opportunities for health: action for development is a project financed by the European Commission under the programme “Co-financing with European Development NGOs – Actions to raise Public Awareness on Development Issues in Europe” and implemented by the Italian NGO Medici con l’Africa CUAMM as a leader, in partnership witha considerable number of 18 organisations (11 partners and 7 associates) from Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Latvia, during the period 1 March 2011 – 28 February 2014.
The proposal built up a consortium with a focus on the eastern European countries, aiming at:
- Empowering health professionals to enable them to better address the challenges affecting health due to the current globalization (e.g. migration, security, human rights protection, environmental changes, HIV/AIDS, etc.) and
- Increasing public awareness and support for the MDG agenda, also by involving the media in action countries.
The project overall objective was to contribute to mobilise public support in Europe for Global Health Equity as a strategy and policy for more equitable North-South relations “Equal opportunities for health: action for development” and poverty reduction in developing countries. The specific objective was to improve the level of awareness and quality of education and training of the health community in the area of international and global health, in order to better face current globalization challenges and fully respond to their role as global health advocates.
Project target group is the wide health community, including faculty and students of Health and Humans Sciences Schools, representatives of local health institutions and authorities, research centres, scientific societies and medical staff, representatives of non-governmental organisations and associations working for the promotion of health right, health workers.
The actions took place mainly in Italy, with a specific focus on the Province of Padua and the Region of Veneto, where Medici con l’Africa CUAMM and main project partners have their Headquarters. The participation of several Italian Universities and Medici con l’Africa CUAMM Supporting Groups extends the action to other Italian regions.
punto.sud was appointed to implement the final evaluation of the project. The evaluation exercise has been developed in line with the ToR proposed by Medici con l’Africa CUAMM. More precisely the work was designed to consolidate the overall reconstruction of the experience acquired by the implementers during the course of the design, implementation and conclusion of the project. Within this framework, the study does not constitute an impact evaluation as it focuses more on the effective capacity of the project team and the partners to develop the project idea into concrete outputs and preliminary outcomes.
The Evaluation exercises was conducted following four main research questions:
• Have the project strategy and activities effectively responded to the identified problems (lesson learnt and possible better coherence/consistency of the action)?
• What have been the partnership mechanisms in place?
• To what extent resources have been converted into results and results have been converted into achieved objectives?
• To what extent communication objectives have been achieved?
Type of services provided
• Analysis of all the available documentation on the projects and the actors concerned;
• Definition of theory of changes
• Research useful bibliographic materials;
• Project problem and logframe analysis;
• Deviations from plan analysis;
• Field survey (in Poland, Italy and Bulgaria)
• Data processing
• Quality control and consistency of reporting
• Recommendations and best practices
Type of Evaluation Monitoring & Final Evaluation
Evaluation Dates (start/end) September 13 – April 14
Country Latvia, Poland, Bulgaria, Italy and Romania
Overall Evaluation Value EUR 15.400
Project Title Equal opportunity for health: Action for development
Donor Medici con l’Africa CUAMM
Budget Line not applicable
Reference Project Number not applicable
Leading Agency & Resource Partners
- Medici con l’Africa CUAMM (IT)
- 29 partners and associates
Overall Project Value EUR (not available)
Dates (start/end) 1 March 11 – 28 February 14