The project aims at strengthening the capacity to better assist National Authorities in carrying out Post-Conflict and Post-Disaster Needs Assessments (PDNAs/PCNAs) through further developing joint appropriate tools and methodologies for such assessments, in close coordination among the three partners (EU, the UN family and the World Bank).
More specifically, the project aims to enable regional and in-country capacity in Post-Conflict and Post-Disaster Needs Assessments to gradually take on a more prominent role, by directly contributing to develop common operational practices and tools with the UN, World Bank and regional organisations. Moreover one of the project’s major activities since its inception has been the contribution to the advancement and finalisation of the PDNA methodology, namely the PDNA Guide, consisting of the introductory Volume A, and Volume B which offers guidance for sector-specific needs assessments.
Two main components are foreseen:
- To support further development of joint PDNA/PCNA methodologies, tools, training programmes, etc.;
- To support joint PDNA/PCNA missions in-country/in region (in coordinating with EU Heads of Delegations and with the European External Actions Service (EEAS) and European Commission). While such support could cover any relevant technical field (long-term and short-term expertise), it is foreseen that a particular emphasis is put on expertise in mission planning and development of final reports/recovery frameworks.
Main project activites can be summarized as follows:
- Organisation, coordination and provision of technical and administrative input to joint (UN/WB/EU) training/capacity-building events (in Europe and other regions);
- Support to all stages of the implementation of joint PDNA/PCNA missions. In particular taking active part in-country in the crucial planning and report writing stages of a PDNA/PCNA (longer-term support missions of 2 to 4 weeks), but also provide advice/input on technical (sectoral – governance, education, livelihood and health – and horizontal issues – including environment, gender, youth, etc.) and procedural issues, as required;
- Strengthening of regional organisations (primarily through their participation in training sessions as indicated above).
Title Post-conflict and post-disaster needs assessment (PCNA/PDNA): development of assessment capacity and tools
Country Belgium, worldwide
Donor European Commission – Directorate General for Cooperation and Development (DG EuropeAid)
Budget Line EUROPEAID/133088/C/SER/MULTI
Reference Number IFS-RRM/2012/308-822 & ICSP/2015/362-826
Sectors Institutional building, governance, learning & training
- Particip GmbH (D), leading agency
- Fundación DARA Internacional (E)
- European Centre for Development Policy Management (NL)
- GOPA Consultants GmbH (D)
Overall project value EUR 4.000.000
Proportion carried out by punto.sud 1%
% of donor’s funding 100%
Dates (start/end) January 13 – August 17
- Government officers, EU/UN staff