EMERGENCY Life support for civilian war victims ONG ONLUS is working in Sierra Leone since 2001 with a Surgical Centre designed for war victims, then extended to the care of orthopaedic patients and all surgical emergencies.
In order to better fulfil the gaps identified in the health sector, EMERGENCY aimed at increasing trained staff at district level in general surgery, trauma stabilization and safety referral. Shortage of qualified professional health staff and weak capacities in training institutions are identified as key challenging in the health sector in Sierra Leone.
Therefore, thanks to the EU Delegation to Sierra Leone contribution, the project ‘Strengthening surgical and trauma health response in two most affected areas by Ebola in Sierra Leone: Port Loko and Western Area’ started in 2015 with the overall objective to contribute to the surgical and trauma health response in affected Ebola areas: Port Loko district (Lokomasama), Kissy (Waterloo Refuge Camp) and Goderich.
For this reason the activities implemented aimed at increasing access to surgical – trauma services in Port Loko, Kissy and Goderich and at guarantee capacity building for national medical staff and CHWs.
In fact, a core point of the intervention is strong inclusive factor together with a double approach: addressing the immediate needs, while keeping considering longer term needs and issues a joint emergency and development approach.
The purpose of this contract is to fulfil the identified objectives :
- To properly identify the variables/factors to be studied, focusing the attention on the impact created by the various activities implemented both with a short and long term perspective.
- To collect and elaborate data and information with regard to the questions formulated.
- To finalise the analysis of the field inquiry and to submit the report.
Type of services provided
Finalisation of the objective of the research
• Preliminary contact with EMERGENCY in charge of project management;
• Analysis of all available documentation on the project and the actors concerned; analysis of existing strategic materials; analysis of the action alignment to the EU principles and strategic priorities;
• Preliminary identification of the relevant stakeholders/key informants in the projects;
• Action appraisals and elaboration of theory of change (includes Project problem and logframe analysis);
• Finalisation of field inquiry (finalisation of assessment matrix, deviation from plan matrix and other tools), collecting materials and workplan.
- Field Inquiry: data collection and analysis
- Deviations from plan analysis, Stakeholder analysis (limited to the identification of main links among all the organisations involved and their capacity to expand benefits and optimise resources) ;
- Collection of information and opinion (perception) regarding stakeholders, key informants, project national staff, beneficiaries; collecting information regarding communication/dissemination materials;
Elaboration of data debriefing and report preparation
• Triangulation of information and data;
• Preliminary definition of evidences and recommendations;
• Preparation of draft report;
• Organisation of debriefing with EMERGENCY staff;
• Finalisation and submission of report.
Type of Evaluation Final Evaluation
Evaluation Dates (start/end) April 2018
Country Sierra Leone
Overall Evaluation Value EUR 14.000
Project Title ‘Strengthening surgical and trauma health response in two most affected areas by Ebola in Sierra Leone: Port Loko and Western Area’
Donor EU Delegation to Sierra Leone
Budget Line n/a
Reference Project Number FED/2015/363727
Sectors Health and sanitation
Leading Agency & Resource Partners
Overall Project Value EUR (not available)
Dates (start/end) November 2015 – June 2018