The aim of this initiative is to foster European integration and the sustainable development in the western Balkan from a social, economic, political and environmental point of view form the platform. The programme is based on the common vision of a various actors active in the Trentino Province (north-east of Italy): public institutions, private enterprises, foundations, the University of Trento and civil society organisation.
The idea is based on the necessity to create and sustain stable alliances, collaborations, networks and agreements, between the public and private entities that have institutional relations with the Balkans.
Within this framework punto.sud contributed to create the Platform 125 group in November 2017 after various years of co-operation projects implemented with the Association Trentino per I Balcani (Trentino Associations for Balkans) which is the NGO who has promoted the initiative and develop the network. This partnership is deemed strategical given the various points of contact between punto.sud, ATB and the other Platform’s partners.
More specifically, the following dimensions are focalized for the development of common initiatives:
- The Balkans represent an important area (the Western Balkan) where punto.sud is already present within the framework of the ENV.net activities, especially regarding the environment and the spreading of the Circular Economy paradigm;
- The Platform 125 mission – promoting an integration of society, business and the environment – represents an innovative player with high potential in the experimentation of Circular Economy models for the benefit of Balkans’ citizens and the EU. This is believed to be strongly consistent with the approach of the new Italian Law 125/14 (form which the Platform takes its name) that encourage multi-stakeholders partnership to promote innovative international cooperation for development Initiatives;
- The possibility to involve in the Platform 125 actors active in the Lombardy Region, promoting a positive co-operation with those one active in Trentino Province;
- A partnership involving academy and research, business and the third sector, represents, finally, an innovative space of reflection and action to promote social innovation initiatives with high standards.
- Development of special partnerships, public administrations, profit organizations, civil society bodies in Trentino and the Balkans based on high social responsibility and environmental standards;
- Develop feasibility study for the identification of common projects involving public Institutions – both in Italy and in the Balkan – profit and non-profit making entities, especially in the renewable energy and waste management sectors where Italian enterprises and Trentino’s local authorities ensure excellent experiences;
- Implementation of pilot innovative action having particular attention to social responsibility (inclusion) and environmental (environmental sustainability) standards in the following fields:
- Territorial planning and protection of environmental heritage, including waste management;
- Energy (exploitation of renewable resources and energy efficiency)
- Health and social care services
- Protection and enhancement of cultural heritage – tangible and intangible
- Social enterprise and cohesion
- Development of innovative financing mechanisms (ex. Social impact bond, impact investing) where traditional funding mechanisms (grants) are conceived to be complementary;
- Development of an ethical brand that can be considered a sustainable and replicable standard.
Title Platform 125: an ideas incubator for the Western Balkan
Country Italy, Albania, Kosovo and Serbia
Donor Autonomous Provence of Trento (PAT), fundraising, own resources
Budget Line N/A
Reference Number N/A
Sectors Circular Economy: renewable energy, waste management, social inclusion, Public-Private co-operation
• Associazione Trentino con i Balcani
• University of Trento
• Fondazione Bruno Kessler
• Albatros Srl
• TING Group
• EFFETRE SEIZERO Srl
• Tera Group Srl
• ADEP – Agenzia depurazione acque PAT
• Trentino sviluppo
• Servizio internazionalizzazione della Provincia Autonoma di Trento
Overall project value N/A
% of donor’s funding N/A
Dates (start/end) November 2017
- Balkan citizenz
- Italian society (Trento and Milan)