Fondazioni for Africa Burkina Faso is an initiative financed by 28 Italian Bank Foundations (Fondazione Cariplo, Compagnia di San Paolo, Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lucca, Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, Fondazione Cariparma, Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Alessandria, Asti, Biella, Bolzano, Bra, Calabria e Lucania, Carrara, Civitavecchia, Cuneo, Fossano, Lucca, Modena, Orvieto, Perugia, Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio Salernitana, Savigliano, Spezia, Padova e Rovigo, Fondazione del Monte di Bologna e Ravenna, Monte Parma, Fondazione Varrone, Istituto Banco di Napoli – Fondazione) adhering to Associazione di Fondazioni e di Casse di Risparmio (ACRI).
The activities in the frame of the Fondazioni For Africa Burkina Faso started in 2014 following to a thorough and in-depth planning exercise that involved a broad range of stakeholders, both in Italy and in Burkina Faso. Planned for three years in this first phase, the initiative targets 7 regions in Burkina Faso, as well as considers their links and their implications in Italy, and is implemented by 7 Italian NGOs in close collaboration with other stakeholders with a relevant experience in Burkina Faso.
Among others, the following stakeholders are involved in the implementation of the initiative: associations of migrants, local authorities, organisations involved in the de-centralised cooperation, Burkinabe civil society organisations (e.g. farmers’ association, micro-finance institutions, research institutes etc.). The systemic approach adopted by the initiative is characterised by a multi-dimensional vision, either with reference to the number and type stakeholders involved and the locations of the intervention.
The objectives of the initiative are the following:
- Contribute to the full achievement of the right to adequate food, by improving the living conditions of the rural Burkinabe population and by supporting the country poverty strategy paper.
- Promote an integrated approach to ensure the socio-economic sustainability of 5 agricultural and 2 forestry supply chains and enhance the capacities of family farmers and their associations in 7 regions of Burkina Faso (Haut Bassin, South West, Centre, Centre-East, Centre-West, Plateau Central and Eastern Region);
- Promote the role the Burkinabe diaspora may play in Italy in transnational development initiatives between Italy and Burkina Faso;
- Promote and enhance the action of the networks that are active and include initiatives of de-centralised cooperation in Italy and in Burkina Faso through the exchange, the dissemination of innovative methodologies and the joint allocation of resources to finance actions related to the initiative;
punto.sud has been awarded the monitoring and final evaluation of the program, following to a tender launched by Fondazione Cariplo as leading agency of the pool of Italian Bank Foundations. The monitoring and evaluation of the initiative aims at supporting the Foundations in their decision-making process related to the programme implemented in Burkina Faso. The service provided by punto.sud is meant to act as a ‘critical friend’ in the programme implementation, with the aim to accompany the management of the initiative as well as to facilitate the sharing of information & experience among the implementing agencies and the funding agencies for the benefit of the target groups.
Besides, one of the thematic issue of the monitoring and evaluation exercise is the co-development dimension of the program, with main reference to the role the Burkinabe diaspora may play in implementing transnational development initiatives.
Type of services provided
In the frame of the agreement with the Fondazione Cariplo, the service has been provided as follows:
- 1st Year (January – December 2014). The overall theory of change was designed, as well as the component related to each of the implementing agency, to serve as a baseline in the appraisal of the changes activated by the initiative throughout the programme duration. Thanks to the support provided by punto.sud, implementing agencies were also accompanied in the set-up of the monitoring systems of the various components, including indicators and means of verification. A field mission was also carried out to validate the evaluation questions identified among those key for the overall initiative and on the governance. The evidence provided on the efficiency of the initiative, of its effectiveness and of its potential for sustainability fed the planning of the second year of the initiative.
- 2nd Year (January 2015 – February 2016). Because of the political turmoil in the Country, it was not possible to carry out the field mission (the duration of the 2. Year was also extended to cover 14 months). The mid-term monitoring and evaluation exercise was carried out therefore basing on the documentation produced in the frame of the initiative and on interviews to the key stakeholders (mainly on skype). The exercise included the update of the theory of change, either that of the overall initiative or that of the single programme components, as well as it focused on the key evaluation questions identified upon inception of the initiative. Deviations from planning, elements of efficiency and of effectiveness were considered in the evaluation exercise and described in the report accordingly, together with ad hoc recommendations.
- 3rd Year (March 2016 – February 2017). Upon redefinition of the plans for the third year, the punto.sud team supported the set-up of the monitoring plans with the aim to better learn from experience at the end of the three-year initiative. A field mission is scheduled to finalise the monitoring tools and the targets, and to accompany the launch of the baseline surveys. During the last year of the initiative, two more field missions have been scheduled, respectively to capitalise on the monitoring process and to carry out the final evaluation of the initiative.
Type of Evaluation Monitoring & Final Evaluation
Evaluation Dates (start/end) January 14 – February 17
Country Burkina Faso and Italy
Overall Evaluation Value EUR 127.607
Project Title Fondazioni For Africa Burkina Faso
Donor Associazione di Fondazioni e di Casse di Risparmio (ACRI), through Fondazione Cariplo
Budget Line n/a
Reference Project Number n/a
Sectors micro-finance, food security, co-development, enhancement of farmers’ organisations, supply chain approach (for rice, soya, horticulture, honey)
- ACRA-CCS (I)
- CeSPI (I)
- CISV (I)
- LVIA (I)
- Mani Tese (I)
- Slow Food (I)
- FABI (Federazione Associazioni Burkina Faso in Italia) and 27 burkinabé CSOs based in Italy (I)
- Local Partners (Burkina Faso)
Overall Project Value EUR 3.600.000 (approx.)
Project Dates (start/end) January 14 – February 17